Wellington, FL – February 9, 2017 – Laura Graves (USA) and Verdades climbed to the top of the leaderboard in Thursday’s FEI Grand Prix CDI 5*, presented by Diamante Farms, during the fifth week of competition at the 2017 Adequan® Global Dressage Festival (AGDF) in Wellington, FL.
AGDF 5 runs from February 8-12 and features CDI 5* competition presented by Diamante Farms, CDI 3* competition presented by Wellington Equestrian Realty, and CDI 1* competition presented by Engel & Völkers, and is held at the Palm Beach International Equestrian Center.
|Watch the winning 80% ride for Laura Graves and Verdades!|
The “Friday Night Stars” FEI Grand Prix Freestyle CDI 5*, presented by Diamante Farms, is on Friday, February 10. Gates open at 6 p.m. General admission is free and parking is $10/car. Live stream of “Friday Night Stars” can be seen HERE.
2016 Olympic Bronze Medalists Laura Graves (USA) and Verdades, a 2002 Dutch Warmblood gelding (Florett AS x Liwilarda) owned by Graves, ended their day with a winning score of 80.080%.
The score was Graves’ first one above 80% in a FEI CDI 5* Grand Prix, putting her alongside U.S. Olympic teammate Steffen Peters as a member of the “80% Club,” which counts only 14 riders in the world as members.
|Laura Graves and Verdades in their winning presentation with judge Annette Fransen Iacobeaus, Terri Kane and Maggie Schuette of Diamante Farms, Allyn Mann of Adequan®, and Cora Causemann of AGDF.|
Placing second to Graves in in the FEI Grand Prix CDI 5* was fellow 2016 Olympic Bronze Medalist Steffen Peters (USA) and Rosamunde, a 2007 Rhinelander mare (Rock Forever x First Lady) owned by Four Winds Farm. They scored 73.820%.
“I had a very electric horse under me today, so the first halt was certainly a reflection of that,” said Peters. “Overall I have to say that there were lots of things that felt absolutely wonderful. Sometimes she can be a bit unsteady in the bridle, and she was just perfect in the connection today.”
|Steffen Peters and Rosamunde|
He continued, “It’s taking time with ‘Rosie’. She is ten and is still a firecracker; nothing different than with Legolas when he was ten. Horses at that age, they need to have the spark to be brilliant later. She is super honest and is a bit of an overachiever. It’s now about the exposure for her.”
Third place was awarded to Tinne Vilhelmson Silfven (SWE) and Paridon Magi, a 2003 Swedish Warmblood gelding (Don Primero x Napoli x Napoleon 625) owned by Lövsta Stuteri, with a score of 73.700%.
|Tinne Vilhelmson-Silfven and Paridon Magi|
Silfven commented on her ride, “I was very happy with Magi today. He ran a little out of gas. Maybe I warmed him up a little too long, but overall he’s so ambitious and tries to do his best every time.
“I must also say, when Laura got her 80%, I got goose bumps,” Silfven added. “It’s a cool thing to have. I was really happy [for her]. It was my best memory from today.”
Earlier in the day, Steffen Peters (USA) and Bailarino, a 2008 Oldenburg gelding (Breitling x Schila x De Niro) owned by Four Winds Farm, captured a win in the FEI Prix St. Georges CDI 1*, presented by Engel & Völkers, with a score of 72.719%.
|Steffen Peters and Bailarino|
Coming in second place was Jane Cleveland (USA) and Monique, a 2009 Danish Warmblood Mare (Temptation x Kaprice x Matador) owned by Cleveland, with a score of 71.886%. Thrid place was awarded to Adrienne Lyle (USA) and Horizon, a 2007 Hanoverian mare (Hotline x Don Schufro) owned by Elizabeth Juliano, with a 70.482%.
The FEI Grand Prix Special CDI 3*, presented by Wellington Equestrian Realty, was won by Chase Hickok (USA) and Sagacious HF, a 1999 KWPN gelding (Welt Hit II x Judith x Cocktail) owned by Hyperion Farm Inc, with a score of 71.667%.
|Chase Hickok and Sagacious HF|
Second place was awarded to Megan Lane (CAN) and San D’Or, a 2002 Hanoverian gelding (De Niro x Rosana M x Regazonni) owned by Jill Irving, with a 70.647%. Placing third was Susan Pape (GBR) and Harmony’s Don Noblesse, a 2007 Hanoverian stallion (Dancier x Descana x Don Davidoff) owned by Harmony Sporthorses, with 70.608%.
“This is our first year jumping up into the Open Grand Prix,” said Hickok. “We were trying to make sure that he stayed really calm and relaxed, and then today we kind of added a little more jazz and a little more excitement, and I think the score really reflected that.”
After competing at Devon last fall, the pair took some time off to work on preparation for the bigger classes.
|Click to watch the winning round for Chase and Sagacious HF!|
Hickok commented, “Every time he comes out, he gets better and better, and I’m stepping up to the plate a little bit. It’s wonderful to have a horse like that, one that can show you the ropes through the U25 and now the Open Grand Prix. He’s just the best competitor you could hope for.”
Competition at AGDF will continue tomorrow witha full schedule of classes, including the FEI Grand Prix Special and Freestyle CDI 5*, presented by Diamante Farms, and the FEI Grand Prix Freestyle CDI 3*, presented by Wellington Equestrian Realty. For more information and to see a full list of results, please visit www.globaldressagefestival.com.
Final Results: FEI Grand Prix CDI 5*, presented by Diamante Farms
Place, Rider, Nationality, Horse, Horse Information: Judge E%, Judge H%, Judge C%, Judge M%, Judge B%, Total %
1. Laura Graves (USA), Verdades, 2002 Dutch Warmblood gelding by Florett AS x Liwilarda owned by Laura Graves: 79.300%, 81.000%, 79.300%, 81.600%, 79.200%, 80.080%
2. Steffen Peters (USA), Rosamunde, 2007 Rhinelander mare by Rock Forever x First Lady owned by Four Winds Farm:73.700%, 73.000%, 70.500%, 77.300%, 74.600%, 73.820%
3. Tinne Vilhelmson Silfven (SWE), Paridon Magi, 2003 Swedish Warmblood gelding by Don Primero x Napoli x Napoleon 625 owned by Lövsta Stuteri: 72.700%, 75.100%, 74.500%, 73.400%, 72.800%, 73.700%
4. Lisa Wilcox (USA), Galant, 2006 Belgian Warmblood gelding by Escuro x Bellisima owned byJacqueline Shear: 72.700%, 71.900%, 71.800%, 74.700%, 72.100%, 72.640%
5. Kasey Perry-Glass (USA), Goerklintgaards Dublet, 2003 Danish Warmblood gelding by Diamond Hit x La Costa x Olympic Ferro owned by Diane Perry: 70.900%, 72.500%, 73.300%, 73.600%, 71.900%, 72.440%
6. Megan Lane (CAN), Caravella, 2001 KWPN mare by Contango x P. Riviera x Riverman owned by Megan Lane: 69.900%, 69.700%, 71.600%, 72.800%, 69.700%, 70.740%
7. Shelly Francis (USA), Doktor, 2003 Oldenburg gelding by Diamond Hit x Gurena x Renoir I owned by Patricia Stempel: 70.100%, 71.400%, 71.900%, 70.700%, 69.000%, 70.620%
8. Katherine Bateson Chandler (USA), Alcazar, 2005 KWPN gelding by Cantango x Polina owned by Jane Forbes Clark: 70.100%, 71.600%, 68.500%, 68.700%, 71.500%, 70.080%
9. Arlene Page (USA), Woodstock, 2003 Dutch Warmblood gelding by Havel x Mirania owned by Arlene Page:68.800%, 68.700%, 67.000%, 69.200%, 67.100%, 68.160%
10. Jan Ebeling (USA), FRH Rassolini, 2003 Hanoverian stallion by Rubioso N x Sweetheart owned by Vantage Equestrian Group: 67.500%, 71.000%, 64.700%, 70.400%, 67.100%, 68.140%
Photo Credit: ©SusanJStickle. These photos may only be used once in relation to this press release with credit.